Saturday 7 April 2012

Modern Quilt Guild Challenge

This week I have been busy making my Little Quilt for the Modern Quilt Guild Challenge.
The challenge was to make a Little Quilt with a minimum size of 20" by 24".
These are to go the the Neonatal and the Paediatric Units at Starship Hospital.
We had to make a quilt using a block that we hadn't done before.


I decided it was time to do some machine blanket stitch applique as I hadn't done
this before, so this is my design.


I have scattered daisies across the quilt top with some going off the edge.


What a difference it made when I got the chunky hand quilting on it. I have called it Bubbles and Daisies. The quilting is done with two or three strands of DMC embrodiery thread.


7 comments:

  1. That's so pretty Robyn! I love the quilted circles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A gorgeous quilt Robyn. A nice simple design but so nice and fresh looking

    ReplyDelete
  3. The applique is lovely and I particularly love the hand quilting - the blue stitching around the flowers looks fabulous...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea for a baby quilt - i always seem to make things complicated for myself when often simple is best. Love that big quilting - is it hard to train yourself to go big when we have all been practising to get them small for years,

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great Robyn! It looks so fresh (might be a bit cliche to say fresh as a daisy!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your comments. I always find it interesting how decisions are made. In regard to the circle quilting, Jacqui - I was originally going to quilt smaller daisies in the white DMC, but time started running out on me so something quicker was needed, hence the circles. And actually I like them much better than the daisy idea now. More daisies would have probably been just too much.

    And yes, Alison it does take a while to get your quilting stitches big when you are so used to hand quilting traditionally with small stitches. It was worse a the moment because I have been flitting between quilting the 1800s Antique Sampler Quilt at the same time - in small stitches.

    At the end of the week I am off to Nelson Mini Symposium to teach sashiko so that will mess with my quilting stitches even more!!! A sample quilt sandwich can be quite useful to get you hand back in before launching back onto your actual quilt.

    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Megan - the white certainly gives a very fresh look, but I think that is the end of white series!!!! Time for a different look I think. Robyn

    ReplyDelete