Tuesday, 30 July 2013

Third in the Taupe Challenge Series

Tomorrow is 'reveal' day for our Taupe Challenge at work, but I realised that I have 
missed a few posts so it is catch up time.

This is the third challenge - the topic was Flowers. As I am in the middle of a hexie 
addiction this is what I made. The background fabric had those stripes up it so I added the hexie flowers to those 'vines' and add embroidered leaves to the vines.

Tomorrow I will get to bring home last month's challenge which was Movement so 
I will post that soon. Tomorrow's one is is Houses, so watch for that soon too.

These are the first three - they are just 9" finished and there will be nine 
of them by the end of the year.

Saturday, 13 July 2013

1930s Quilt

My 1930s Applique Quilt is now all put together and is being hand quilted. 
Plans have changed as they usually do.

This is the alternating block - a 36 square checkerboard. I am really pleased with the white background squares that I scattered through these blocks - they are breaking up the 
print fabric nicely - I think.

So in the end I only used 12 of the applique blocks as my layout completely changed!!

Whole quilt include nosey cat's tail!

I am quilting it with 2 strands of yellow DMC.I have outlined the applique flower 
pieces and gone around each block just inside the seam allowance. 
You might just be able to see it on this photo.

On the checkerboard blocks I have done square within a square - three times.

This is the quilt on our double bed.

Along with the fabrics in this quilt we have been collecting 1930s fabrics for a while.
These are current Patchwork Passion shop shelves.

So check them out and join me on the latest 'passion'.
See you in Taupo (with the quilt) if you are going to Symposium.
It will be ready to go as a Block of the Month from there and from the shop 
once we get back.

Hopefully I will get a bit of time to keep on with the quilting.

Watch this spot for the next project - English Paper Pieced 1930s!

Looking forward to your comments, Robyn