Wednesday 4 April 2012

Cushion

I am running a Cushion Club at the shop. Each month I teach a new technique. 
So far we have done hand applique and strip piecing with machine quilting.

The next class is Foundation Piecing. 
This is the cushion top that I have made for this class.


I have used a lovely shot cotton Japanese fabric for the background and three different 
murky pink prints for the flower petals - also Japanese.


I have done some chunky hand quilting around the flower pieces using my favourite 
Cosmo embroidery thread # 383. I seem to have a bit of an addiction to this chunky 
quilting a the moment, but it so quick and easy to do.

5 comments:

  1. One of my brothers is a cabinetmaker and this cushion reminds me of the tables he used to make with inlaid wood. Very attractive and different from what we usually see here Robyn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alison - it is different for me. Foundation Piecing is not one of my favourite techniques, but it really is essential for skinny points like on this block. SO it is a good skill to have in your toolbox. But I did use fabric that I love - the chocolate fabric has such a soft red toning. Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love that chunky look hand quilting - it looked great on your modern cushions too. I must come and have a lesson with you sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the hand quilting too - plus the fabrics! That's two more techniques it would be great to learn - foundation piecing & hand quilting. So much fun...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Megan and Megan - I do have a bit of a current addiction to this chunky quilting. I like the look of it and the speed at which you can get it done.

    I teach a variety of techniques at Cushion Club on a Wednesday night once a month - maybe it is a possible class for you to attend. This cushion is for he next one on 18 April 7.00pm - 9.00pm

    Robyn

    ReplyDelete