Tuesday 16 April 2013

Away From Home 1800s Quilt

This year at our 1800s Quilt Group I am working on a quilt from the book,
 "Away From Home". Several others in the group are also working on this 
quilt but maybe making it the whole medallion size.


It is a wonderful book filled with excerpts from letters written home and diary entries 
by the girls who left their rural communities to work in the cotton mills in America. 
The mill featured is Mill Hill., Lowell, Massachusetts.

The quilt in the book is big - 100" square. There are other designs in the book 
that also tempting.


But I am making a variation on it. Surprise! Surprise! You may remember a 
few years ago our group was working on American Schoolgirl quilts - most of which 
were under a metre in size, so I have decided to add this one to that collection. So I 
am doing just the centre applique panel and then a couple of the borders reduced 
in size of course - hope the maths works - haven't got that far yet.


This is my centre panel - lots of pieces just pinned on and the sun without its triangular rays, 
but tomorrow at group I hope to make some more progress on the stitching.


I just love the fabric range - these are just some of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment